We are seeking a mid-level back-end developer (Rails) who is looking for opportunities to lead a software team and work with a range of Rails apps and Shopify e-commerce builds. As part of Pixelcabin’s engineering team, you will build e-commerce solutions predominantly on the Shopify platform, by extending the native functionality using Rails for applications and augmenting complex front-end builds. Your role will also include managing a developer team through the various stages of a project, and receiving business problems from stakeholders and translating these into elegant, technical solutions.
This is a role for someone who is excited to have ownership of projects, has experience with managing a team of developers, and is comfortable working in a TDD environment where code quality is prioritised over speed. You will also have an exceptional attention to detail, experience with building scalable applications, and excellent problem-solving skills. It is a bonus if you have worked remotely before, although this is not a requirement.
- The ability to work from anywhere in the world (see timezone details below)
- Salary of £35k–£45k, depending on experience
- Flexible workspace / equipment allowance
- Professional development allowance
- Excellent support for setting up an ideal remote working environment
- An annual team retreat (different locations every year!)
- A Pixelcabin laptop (our team usually uses Macbook Pros or Dell XPS 13s, but feel free to ask for what allows you to do your job best!)
- 30 days holiday
- Generous maternity / paternity package
In this role, you will:
- Design, build, and maintain clean, reusable, and reliable Rails apps
- Lead a team of developers, including running sprint planning meetings and leading code review processes
- Deliver readable, well-documented, and efficient code
- Develop code solutions that enable our clients to reach their long-term goals
- Contribute to the evolution of our development workflows and tooling
- Implement software best practices, such as refactoring
Proficiency (3 years industry minimum) with Ruby 2+, Rails 4+, RSpec, Sidekiq
- Highly proficient with Git and GitHub
- Experience developing scalable Rails apps that can easily handle spikes in traffic
- Exceptional programming skills (you can produce high-quality code that is maintainable, efficient, reliable and secure)
- Experience with managing a software team
- Experience developing APIs as part of an application’s architecture
- Agile, lean, or similar development methodologies/experience
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Strong verbal and written communication in English
- High level of attention to detail
- Well-organized and self-motivated
It’s a bonus if you also have:
- Experience with the Shopify platform
- Made contributions to open-source projects
- A bachelor’s degree in a STEM field (or equivalent education)
- An understanding of Web Application Security (OWASP)
- Worked remotely in the past
At Pixelcabin, our team is small, steadily growing and fully distributed. Because working remotely has been part of our DNA since day 1, we believe in offering a great remote working environment for everyone in our team. You will get support with setting up your work routine so that it’s enjoyable, even easy, to do your best work. By using excellent tooling (Slack, Notion, Invision, Pivotal Tracker, and any that you suggest) and encouraging you to create a unique setup that works for you (everyone is different!), we will help ensure that you can work efficiently, feel inspired, and collaborate smoothly with your team.
Every year, we organise a retreat/meetup in a sunny place so that we can bring everyone together, get away from our desks, and bridge the remote-working gap for a few days. On these meetups, we also explore ideas for the future direction of the company. (Last year, the team came together for a week in Hong Kong. Prior to that we went to San Francisco and Miami.) Since our clients are also remote, we occasionally travel to spend time embedded in their offices. This also provides time for us to come together and hang out as a team.
On a day-to-day basis, you will be communicating frequently with other team members through a range of channels (daily video calls, demoing / pairing via screen-share and Invision). Since we believe that good teamwork relies on open dialogue, you need to be someone who is comfortable with raising questions and issues. You also need to be self-motivated and experienced with taking tasks through to completion.
Given that we are a remote team distributed across different time zones, we have a flexible approach to work schedule. That said, during your first year of working with us, we would usually expect you to cross at least 5 hours of 8am–6pm (GMT+0) from Monday to Friday.
Pixelcabin is committed to building a culturally diverse company, and we value a broad set of opinions in our team. As we grow, we are looking to build a team with a range of viewpoints at its core, and we encourage applications from female and minority candidates.
To apply: Please send all applications to email@example.com, including your Github, LinkedIn, and any other relevant links. The email body should include cover letter content, with a CV as an attachment (only required if no LinkedIn). The subject of your email should be ‘2019 Mid-Level Rails Developer Application’. Application emails without this subject will be automatically screened-out and not read.