Chief of Staff
JOB FUNCTION Chief of Staff
LOCATION Headquarters:San Francisco, CA,Anywhere
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
As Toptal’s Chief of Staff, you will work closely with Toptal’s CEO and executive team to maximize the impact of the CEO’s network and activities across global conference & event appearances, partnerships, PR, business development, and more. You will think like an entrepreneur, developing and testing strategies for driving value for Toptal through the CEO’s externally-facing activities. You will excel at measuring impact, operations, relationship-building, and strategy, and will be relentlessly resourceful in your role.
Your areas of focus will include events, PR and media opportunities, business development and partnership opportunities, and more. Working with Toptal’s CEO and Executive Assistant, Head of PR, VP of Events, relevant commercial leaders, and more, you will integrate into Toptal’s day-to-day operations and identify areas in which the CEO can personally drive critical value for the Toptal organization.
In the first week you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Shadow key teams across the company to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and capabilities.
- Learn about the company’s key metrics and goals.
- Learn the roles and priorities of key stakeholders across the company.
In the first month you will:
- Get up to speed on upcoming opportunities in events, PR, and business development to understand their underlying strategies and contribute new ideas.
- Deep dive into ongoing and upcoming strategies and initiatives at the organization, prioritizing by areas in which the CEO can personally drive impact.
- Implement a system that will store and manage all of the CEO’s contacts and track key events and attendees.
In the first three months you will:
- Develop a holistic strategy for the Chief of Staff role and the CEO’s involvement across events, PR, business development, partnerships, etc. that integrates smoothly into ongoing initiatives across Toptal and includes clear KPIs and definitions of success.
- Take over management of a defined budget for the Chief of Staff role.
- Execute on defined strategies at events and media opportunities, conducting customized outreach, setting up meetings, preparing the CEO with pre-event briefs, coordinating and debriefing with the Toptal team, managing spend, and measuring impact as relevant.
- Review the CEO’s existing contacts and incorporate them into your holistic strategy.
- Define KPIs for your role, build systems for measuring impact, and begin collecting data.
In the first six months you will:
- Execute your defined strategy, testing rapidly to scale what works and kill what doesn’t, driving measurable impact for ongoing Toptal initiatives across events, PR, business development, partnerships, etc.
- Deeply integrate yourself in all relevant areas of the Toptal team, working with leaders across the company to strategize, stay ahead of business needs, and unblock difficult problems with creative solutions and the CEO’s direct involvement.
- Work with the CEO in-person at events, media opportunities, and more, doing everything necessary to maximize impact through advance preparation and follow-up both externally and internally with appropriate members of the Toptal team.
- You must have world-class organization skills.
- You must have world-class presentation skills (written, in-person, formal presentations, internal, external, networking with C-levels professionally and socially, etc.).
- You must have tremendous emotional intelligence, including exceptional foresight and judgement.
- You must be highly detail-oriented and comfortable wearing many hats.
- You must have strong research and synthesis skills.
- You must be extremely resourceful and creative, capable of solving difficult, critical problems by leveraging the extensive resources of the Toptal organization.
- You must be able to effectively manage a budget, including optimizing the allocation of resources and showing ROI on all spend.
- You must have strong operational skills and be capable of setting up systems to measure the impact of your work.
- Ownership. You take responsibility for the work you do.
- Quality. You take pride in everything you deliver as a reflection of yourself.
- Critical thinking. You must be able to think strategically to connect the dots between external opportunities and available resources/capabilities across the Toptal organization.
- Integrity, at the highest level. You must be able to exercise good judgement on behalf of others.
- Highly resilient. You must have a growth mindset and be very comfortable giving and taking direct feedback and constructive criticism. You must be an exceptional performer in high-pressure situations.
- Ability to communicate clearly and constantly with teams via Slack and other collaboration tools.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal.
Apply for this Position
If you can see yourself in this remote role and feel you can add to the ongoing success of In Marketing We Trust, then apply via https://www.toptal.com/careers
You may also be interested in these jobs below