JOB FUNCTION Engineering Manager
LOCATION Headquarters:New York, NY,Remote
Wirecutter is seeking an Engineering Manager to build and lead a team of Data Engineers. You will help the members of your team grow both technically and professionally, and support our evolving data needs. This is a new position that was created as we continue to invest in the talent and support needed for our data.
You and the Data Engineers operate within a distributed, cross-functional squad that includes support from a Product Manager and Project Manager. The data squad has an organization-wide impact by providing the data to inform the user-experience, product, editorial, growth, and financial decisions at Wirecutter. The squad is responsible for the ETL processes, architecture, storage, reliability, and infrastructure surrounding our internal data.
About the Role
- This is a management-track position which reports to the Head of Engineering. Previous experience as the direct manager of data engineers or software engineers is required.
- Initially, the team will have one existing Data Engineer and one open engineering position for you to fill. A majority of your first few months will be consumed with recruiting, hiring, and ramping up this new team. You have direct HR responsibility for the data engineers.
- You will work closely with your product and project partners on the scoping, planning, prioritization, successful execution, and rollout of complex technical projects.
- You are responsible for articulating the technical vision and approaches that best align with our product and business goals, as well as the quality, reliably, and secure storage and replication of our data.
- Building strong cross-functional relationships with members of our analytics, finance, revenue, editorial, engineering, and product departments will be crucial to developing an in-depth understanding of our data and how it is used.
- A technical background with experience in an object oriented programming language, managing a data pipeline and securing and storing data is required in order to be a good counsel and advocate for data engineering.
- The smaller team size allows for a more hands-on manager that will provide technical leadership to your team by giving guidance on architecture and coding when time allows. This may change over time.
- As opportunities arise, you may also work across another product development team and/or take on additional direct reports. Engineering Managers typically have between 4-6 direct reports by their first year.
- Our engineering and project teams are distributed across the U.S. and Canada, so that you can cultivate a best-in-class team. You will recruit and hire talented software engineers and facilitate onboarding of new team members.
- Engineering Managers at Wirecutter are expected to play a large part in orchestrating engineers to achieve great results. Ultimately, an engineer’s success within an autonomous cross-functional team (and beyond) is a measure of your success as a leader and mentor. You will actively coach engineers on their day-to-day work and along their career path, conduct regular 1:1s for your reports, and evaluate their performance quarterly—setting actionable goals that help them grow and evolve.
- Drive your team’s narrative; this means everything from sending incident reports with lessons learned when things go wrong to sharing successes and metrics when things go well.
- Be accountable for the impact, decisions, and members of the data engineering team.
- Design, build, and launch new data models and data pipelines in production.
- Optimize, manage, and scale existing data models and data pipelines.
- Define and manage SLA’s for all data sets and processes running in production.
- Collaborate with your Project partner on the data squad’s roadmap and to communicate status, risks and requirements to impacted stakeholders, product engineering teams, your peers, and leadership.
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of Wirecutter’s engineering management team.
You have at least a couple of years of engineering management experience; including scaling teams, setting goals, and crafting growth or continuous improvement plans for your team members.
- You are technically proficient and have a background in software or database engineering and scaling large data sets.
- You understand the challenges of ETL processes, complex data queries, data architecture, and reliable data replication.
- You are passionate and enthusiastic about what you do, and use that to help motivate diverse groups.
- You lead by example, by setting the right context, and by helping others do their best work.
- You find immense value in the success of your team.
- You are thoughtful, clear, and persuasive in writing and in person.
- You have experience advocating for your technical team members and steering multiple stakeholders when needed.
- You are excited to play a pivotal role in Wirecutter’s mission, innovation, and growth.
- Ideally, you’ve managed or worked with distributed, or hybrid, teams.
- Ideally, you have experience with BI tools and managing data sets for BI tools.
Founded five years ago by journalists fed up with the time and energy it takes to shop, Wirecutter developed a simpler approach to giving buying advice: Just tell people exactly what to get in one single guide. The company’s purpose: to help people find great things, quickly and easily. Through rigorous testing, research, reporting, and whatever means necessary, we create straightforward recommendations that save readers unnecessary stress, time, and effort. We then monetize these guides by enabling our readers to easily purchase the products they are interested in.
Wirecutter was recently acquired by, and is now a subsidiary of, The New York Times Company. As part of the acquisition, The Times is investing in Wirecutter to accelerate its business through editorial category expansion, development of more robust product features, and unlocking of new revenue streams.
Even with offices in New York City and Los Angeles, Wirecutter remains a highly remote culture with employees across the United States. Right now, we are eligible to hire in the following locations:
CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, HI, IL, MA, ME, MI, MN, MO, NC, NH, NV, NY, OR, PA, TX, VA, or WA.
Benefits and Perks:
- Make an impact by supporting our original, independent and deeply reported journalism.
- We provide competitive health, dental, vision and life insurance for employees and their families
- We support responsible retirement planning with a generous 401(k) company match.
- We offer a competitive parental leave.
- We are committed to career development and ongoing learning, and provide employees $8,000 annually for tuition reimbursement.
- We have frequent panel discussions and talks by a wide variety of newsmakers and industry leaders.
- Join a community committed to the richness of diversity, experiences and talents in the world we cover, supported by a variety of employee resource groups.
The New York Times is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce, one that reflects the varied global community we serve. Our journalism and the products we build in the service of that journalism greatly benefit from a range of perspectives, which can only come from diversity of all types, across our ranks, at all levels of the organization. Achieving true diversity and inclusion is the right thing to do. It is also the smart thing for our business. So we strongly encourage women, veterans, people with disabilities, people of color and gender nonconforming candidates to apply.
The New York Times Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics.
Apply for this Position
If you can see yourself in this remote role and feel you can add to the ongoing success of In Marketing We Trust, then apply via https://thewirecutter.com/jobs/
You may also be interested in these jobs below
Paid Search Specialist (EMEA)
May. 23rd | Hotjar
Social Media Growth Hacker
May. 23rd | Loom Network
React + Ruby on Rails Engineer
May. 21st | Aha!
React.js and ruby on rails engineer
May. 21st | Aha!
Full-Stack Software Engineer
May. 21st | Articulate