JOB FUNCTION Lead Engineer
LOCATION Headquarters:New York, NY,New York, NY
- Node.js, Express, and React
- MongoDB, GraphQL, and Apollo
- PHP, WordPress, MySQL
- AWS Lambda, RDS, etc.
- Collaborate with your squad leaders and stakeholders on the scoping, planning, prioritization, successful execution, and rollout of user or business features.
- Research and recommend technical solutions that best align with our product and business goals.
- Build scalable, high-quality, and innovative back-end features and workflows that underpin our credit card database and bank API integrations.
- Define new data models that are appropriately scalable, standardized, and reliable.
- Help to guide, define, and architect the tech stack behind the Money team’s editorial operation.
- Design applications with extensibility in mind, while considering efficiency, and the burden of developer onboarding.
- Configure analytics events and tracking metrics for reporting.
- Write code that is simple, reliable, maintainable, performant, and functional.
- Share information and learnings with others.
- Perform code reviews with meaningful feedback.
- Test and troubleshoot with automated testing or manual quality assurance.
- Write and maintain user and software design documentation for our applications and infrastructure.
- Debug, support, and maintain our applications, environments, and related services.
- Improve our development workflow and infrastructure.
- Mentor and coach other members of your squad and the engineering team.
- Contribute to engineering initiatives as a member of Wirecutter’s engineering team.
- You have 5+ years experience in software engineering.
- You have production experience with Node, React, and GraphQL.
- You have experience reliably integrating and handling data from multiple APIs.
- You understand the challenges of scaling and caching a Node.js back-end application.
- You understand the challenges of being data-dependant on multiple external APIs.
- You have experience building applications at scale on any major cloud provider (AWS, GCP, etc.)
- You can design & optimize queries, data sets, and external API data storage that helps generate insights and addresses reporting needs.
- You are thoughtful, clear, and persuasive in writing and in person.
- You have strong problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities.
- You have experience listening to product and business users, and can translate their needs into actionable tasks.
- You are proactive and comfortable working quickly on a small, dedicated project team without micromanagement of day to day tasks.
- You are excited to play a pivotal role in Wirecutter’s mission, innovation, and growth.
- You are passionate and enthusiastic about what you do.
- You have experience with version control, shell scripting, the Unix filesystem, and automating deployments.
- Ideally, you have experience with MongoDB or another NoSQL database.
- Ideally, you have experience with WordPress or another PHP based CMS.
- Ideally, you have production experience within a microservices architecture.
- Ideally, you have experience with Docker, and basic environment and infrastructure configurations.
- Ideally, you have experience in providing technical leadership, advocating for your team, and steering multiple stakeholders when needed.
- Ideally, you’ve worked as a member of a distributed or hybrid engineering team.
- Make an impact by supporting our original, independent and deeply reported journalism.
- We provide competitive health, dental, vision and life insurance for employees and their families
- We support responsible retirement planning with a generous 401(k) company match.
- We offer a competitive parental leave.
- We are committed to career development and ongoing learning, and provide employees $8,000 annually for tuition reimbursement.
- We have frequent panel discussions and talks by a wide variety of newsmakers and industry leaders.
- Join a community committed to the richness of diversity, experiences and talents in the world we cover, supported by a variety of employee resource groups.
The New York Times Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics.
Apply for this Position
If you can see yourself in this remote role and feel you can add to the ongoing success of In Marketing We Trust, then apply via https://thewirecutter.com/jobs/
You may also be interested in these jobs below