We are seeking a mid-level back-end developer (Rails) who is looking for opportunities to lead a software team and work with a range of Rails apps and Shopify e-commerce builds. As part of Pixelcabin’s engineering team, you will build e-commerce solutions predominantly on the Shopify platform, by extending the native functionality using Rails for applications and augmenting complex front-end builds. Your role will also include managing a developer team through the various stages of a project, and receiving business problems from stakeholders and translating these into elegant, technical solutions.
This is a role for someone who is excited to have ownership of projects, has experience with managing a team of developers, and is comfortable working in a TDD environment where code quality is prioritised over speed. You will also have an exceptional attention to detail, experience with building scalable applications, and excellent problem-solving skills. It is a bonus if you have worked remotely before, although this is not a requirement.
- The ability to work from anywhere in the world (see timezone details below)
- Salary of £35k–£50k, depending on experience
- Flexible workspace / equipment allowance
- Professional development allowance
- Excellent support for setting up an ideal remote working environment
- An annual team retreat (different locations every year!)
- A Pixelcabin laptop (our team usually uses Macbook Pros or Dell XPS 13s, but feel free to ask for what allows you to do your job best!)
- 30 days holiday
- Generous maternity / paternity package
In this role, you will:
- Design, build, and maintain clean, reusable, and reliable Rails apps
- Lead a team of developers, including running sprint planning meetings and leading code review processes
- Deliver readable, well-documented, and efficient code
- Develop code solutions that enable our clients to reach their long-term goals
- Contribute to the evolution of our development workflows and tooling
- Implement software best practices, such as refactoring
- Proficiency (3 years industry minimum) with Ruby 2+, Rails 4+, RSpec, Sidekiq
- Highly proficient with Git and GitHub
- Experience developing scalable Rails apps that can easily handle spikes in traffic
- Exceptional programming skills (you can produce high-quality code that is maintainable, efficient, reliable and secure)
- Experience with managing a software team
- Experience developing APIs as part of an application’s architecture
- Agile, lean, or similar development methodologies/experience
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Strong verbal and written communication in English
- High level of attention to detail
- Well-organised and self-motivated
It’s a bonus if you also have:
- Experience with the Shopify platform
- Made contributions to open-source projects
- A bachelor’s degree in a STEM field (or equivalent education)
- An understanding of Web Application Security (OWASP)
- Worked remotely in the past
What is it like to work at Pixelcabin?
At Pixelcabin, our team is small, steadily growing and fully distributed. Because working remotely has been part of our DNA since day 1, we believe in offering a great remote working environment for everyone in our team. You will get support with setting up your work routine so that it’s enjoyable, even easy, to do your best work. We use excellent tooling (Slack, Notion, Invision, Pivotal Tracker, and any that you suggest) and help you to create a unique setup that works for you (everyone is different!). This way, you’ll be able to work efficiently, feel inspired, and collaborate smoothly with your team.
Every year, we organise a retreat/meetup in a sunny place so that we can bring everyone together, get away from our desks, and bridge the remote-working gap for a few days. On these meetups, we also explore ideas for the future direction of the company. (In past years, we’ve gathered in Hong Kong, San Francisco and Miami.) Since our clients are also remote, we occasionally travel to spend time embedded in their offices. This also provides time for us to come together and hang out as a team.
On a day-to-day basis, you will be communicating frequently with other team members through a range of channels (daily video calls, demoing / pairing via screen-share and Invision). Since we believe that good teamwork relies on open dialogue, we always encourage our team members to raise questions and suggest new, creative solutions.
While we may work hard throughout the week, we value a healthy work-life balance. Our off hours are reserved for road cycling, snowboarding, and spending time with our friends and family. We also know that we are only as strong as our team members are inspired. We thus encourage continuous learning and personal development, in addition to emphasising collaboration and the sharing of ideas (e.g. by actively encouraging paired sessions of programming or other skills, impromptu video chats with other team members and a healthy amount of ‘off topic’ conversation!).
Since we are a remote team distributed across different time zones, we have a flexible approach to work schedule. That said, during your first year of working with us, we would usually expect you to cross at least 5 hours of 8am–6pm (GMT+0) from Monday to Friday.
Pixelcabin is committed to building a culturally diverse company, and we value a broad set of opinions in our team. As we grow, we are looking to build a team with a range of viewpoints at its core, and we encourage applications from female and minority candidates.
Founded in 2012, Pixelcabin is an agile web development agency that engineers e-commerce solutions using the Shopify Plus platform. We have worked with some of the world’s most influential companies (e.g. AB InBev, Net-a-Porter) and are always looking for ways to push the boundaries of what Shopify can do for our clients and their customers. We expand Shopify’s native functionality with bespoke Rails apps that leverage Shopify’s extensive API, in addition to building fully customised front-end experiences. We are also a core Partner of Shopify, which means we have advance access to Shopify’s upcoming APIs and features.
At Pixelcabin, we believe in offering solutions, not different ways of saying no. Since the beginning, we have been driven by three core principles: value quality over quantity, under-promise and over-deliver, and take pride in your work. We take on projects that will present new problems for us to solve, and get excited about elegant solutions to complex challenges.
To apply: Please send all applications to email@example.com, including your Github, LinkedIn, and any other relevant links. The email body should include cover letter content, with a CV as an attachment (only required if no LinkedIn). The subject of your email should be ‘2019 Mid-Level Rails Developer Application’. Application emails without this subject will be automatically screened-out and not read.