Senior Backend Engineer
JOB FUNCTION Senior Backend Engineer
LOCATION Headquarters:San Francisco, CA,San Francisco, CA
Who Should Apply?
How You’ll Contribute:
- Lead the development of backend features
- Help create an improved backend architecture
- Set backend development guidelines and code quality standards
- Mentor other backend engineers
- Collaborate with team leads to ensure site uptime and reliability
- Collaborate with DevOps to ensure new features are deployed reliably
- 5 + years of web development experience
- 2 + years of Python and Django experience
- Strong verbal and written communications skills — we’re a 100% remote team
- Agile/SCRUM experience
- Experience measuring the effectiveness of the features you work on
- Experience leading architectural discussions and creating roadmaps
- Experience mentoring other engineers
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines
- If a merge request deletes more code than it creates, you think it’s a good day.
- You aim to improve reliability and performance when you refactor.
- You’re eager to ask questions if you don’t understand something and initial research isn’t helping.
- If you’re blocked on something, you instinctively find other things to contribute while you wait.
- When you hear about a new technology, you wonder how it can improve your work rather than worrying about having to learn it.
- Our frontend is a modern React/Redux stack.
- Communication with the backend happens over a combination of websockets, GraphQL, and REST APIs.
- The main backend is Django on Python 3.
- We use Docker extensively, both for student code execution, and for deployment of our services.
- We use Kubernetes on Google Cloud to orchestrate our containers in production.
- Our data is largely stored in Postgres, with some caching in Redis.
- We use git for source control and CircleCI for build pipelines.
Why you should work at Dataquest
- The opportunity to see your impact on the lives of our students every day.
- The chance to work with an engaged and mission-driven team.
- The chance to contribute to product direction and decisions.
- The ability to work remotely.
- A supportive environment where you can get help when you run into blockers.
Apply for this Position
If you can see yourself in this remote role and feel you can add to the ongoing success of In Marketing We Trust, then apply via https://www.dataquest.io
You may also be interested in these jobs below