Senior Software Engineer
JOB FUNCTION Senior Software Engineer
LOCATION Headquarters:Durham, NC,Continental United States
We will be accepting applications through November 5, 2018. Currently, we are not set up to support remote employees from CA, NY, WA or outside the continental US. All applicants must have a US work visa.
What we’re looking for in a senior engineer is somebody who’s excited by jumping into pretty complex technical problems and making sense of them. We regularly deal with encryption, encoding, and security, all within the context of a distributed system. You don’t have to be an expert in any of those aspects, but you should be really open to learning about them. Once you’ve gotten your feet under you and understand the domain well enough, we envision you being the technical lead for one aspect of our service. In particular, this means we’d like you to mentor junior engineers and help them tackle the task at hand using pragmatic software practices. We’re looking for people that are good at their job who are also are interested in elevating the people around them.
What We’re Looking For
- A track record of delivering well-crafted software
- A willingness to be a generalist and the curiosity to try new things you’ve never done before
- Excitement about building products for Spreedly’s customers, who are primarily businesses doing commerce and their developers who are using our API’s and toolkits
- Excellent written communication skills, and a willingness to use them to document your work as necessary
- The ability to operate autonomously, sorting your own immediate priorities out of the ever-shifting needs of a startup environment
- Confidence in your ability to learn new tech as necessary. Today we work primarily with Ruby, Rails, Elixir, Phoenix, Riak, Kafka, Postgres, Redis, and Linux … but are always pragmatically evaluating new languages and tools
What We Offer You
- Competitive salary + equity package
- Outstanding medical and dental benefits (we pay 100% of monthly premiums for employees + families with low yearly deductibles)
- Life and Long-Term Disability benefits
- Open PTO policy
- Open sick days
- Full-time remote employment
- Flexible work schedules
- 12 weeks paid Family Leave for all employees
- Company sponsored 401k
- Yearly paid professional development for all employees
We have a remote friendly culture at Spreedly. At our headquarters in Durham, NC, employees only come into the office on Tuesdays and Thursdays, the rest of the week we work from home. We also have a number of full-time remote folks located in different areas of the country, so we’re well set up to support our remote team. That being said, because this position requires a great deal of autonomy, we’d like for candidates to have had experience working in a remote environment.
It’s very important to us to have the fairest and most productive hiring process possible. We want to ensure that every candidate is treated equally and our interactions are designed with that goal in mind. If you want to get a sense for what your application process will look like, we’d encourage you to read the following: Stop Hazing Your Potential Hires
and Programming Puzzles Are Not the Answer
If this at all sounds interesting, we’d love to hear from you!
Spreedly is an equal opportunity employer that values a diverse culture as it’s an accurate reflection of the larger community and world in which we live. We actively work to drive out even unintentional discrimination in our hiring processes via practices like blindly graded work samples and structured interviews.
Due to the sensitive nature of what Spreedly does- handling payment data- candidates must complete a successful background check. If you have concerns along those lines, please discuss with us sooner rather than later- we do not want you to waste time in the hiring process and get disqualified at the end if we can help it.