Senior Software Engineer
JOB FUNCTION Senior Software Engineer
LOCATION Headquarters:New York, NY,USA
About the position:
- Laravel — PHP framework
- Vue JS
- Grunt/Gulp — task automation
- Sass/CSS — markup styles
- Proactively identifies problems with requirements for their own and adjacent work. Communicates these issues early to help course-correct
- Communicates project status clearly and effectively in a proactive manner
- Translate UI/UX wireframes to visual elements
- Build scalable, high-quality, and innovative solutions and features
- Write code that is simple, reliable, maintainable, performant, functional, and compatible across devices and browsers
- Design applications with extensibility in mind, while considering efficiency and the burden of developer onboarding
- Debug issues reported in our production environment
- Provide level-of-effort estimates and specifications for upcoming project tasks
- Understand requirements, discuss trade-offs, and collaborate on the best approach to solving a problem
- Succinctly communicate complex problems and proposed solutions, in writing and in conversation
- Perform code reviews with meaningful feedback
- Test and troubleshoot with automated testing or manual quality assurance
- 5+ years of experience with PHP, including Laravel or another MVC frameworks
- 3+ years of experience styling client-side views with CSS or Sass
- Understanding of object-oriented software principles, unit testing, acceptance testing, and design patterns
- Experience developing and consuming restful web services
- Experience working closely with design and product teams throughout the product development life cycle
- A deep understanding of software development, working collaboratively as part of a multidisciplinary team with a track record of shipping software on time
- Curiosity and vision: You have a passion for technology and can think critically about performance, scalability, and reliability of software
- Comfortable working without micromanagement of day-to-day tasks
- Experience with version control and basic shell scripting
- Experience working with Terraform & Ansible
- Experience with the JSON API specification
- Working knowledge of GraphQL
Benefits and Perks:
- Make an impact by supporting our original, independent and deeply reported journalism.
- We provide competitive health, dental, vision and life insurance for employees and their families
- We support responsible retirement planning with a generous 401(k) company match.
- We offer a competitive parental leave.
- We are committed to career development and ongoing learning, and provide employees $8,000 annually for tuition reimbursement.
- We have frequent panel discussions and talks by a wide variety of newsmakers and industry leaders.
- Join a community committed to the richness of diversity, experiences and talents in the world we cover, supported by a variety of employee resource groups.
The New York Times Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics.
Apply for this Position
If you can see yourself in this remote role and feel you can add to the ongoing success of In Marketing We Trust, then apply via https://thewirecutter.com/jobs/
You may also be interested in these jobs below